We are a team on a mission, to put accessible and affordable healthcare in the hands of every person on earth. Our mission is bold and ambitious, and it’s one that’s shared by our team who shares our values, to dream big, build fast and be brilliant.
To achieve this, we’ve brought together one of the largest teams of scientists, clinicians, mathematicians and engineers to focus on combining the ever-growing computing power of machines, with the best medical expertise of humans, to create a comprehensive, immediate and personalized health service and make it universally available.
babylon was included in WIRED’s 2016 Top 100 Hottest Startups in Europe and CB Insights 2017 Global ‘AI 100’ list. Fortune Magazine included babylon in their 2017 list of ’50 Companies Leading the AI Revolution’, the only listed company using AI in healthcare delivery.
At babylon our people aren’t just part of a team, they’re part of something bigger. We’re a vibrant community of creative thinkers and doers, forging the way for a new generation of healthcare.
We’re only as good as our people. So, finding the best people is everything to us. We serve millions, but we choose our people one at a time…
Lead Practice Nurse – Birmingham
Babylon have an exciting opportunity for a Lead Practice Nurse to work across our clinics based in Birmingham. This role is an integral part to ensure we provide leading healthcare within the innovative GP at Hand Service and work with a varied caseload as we continue to treat more patients across the capital. Working in a Primary Care setting you will be situated in the worlds innovative healthcare provider you will be responsible for implementing strategies and supporting GP’s as well as HCA’s and Phlebotomist. You will be a key member of the team and entrusted to develop the service to be effective as it can be with your experience, passion and ability to streamline processes.
We require a creative, dependent and supportive Lead Nurse to help deliver our award-winning service and assist patients who are required to attend a clinic for further assessment or undertake LTC management and routine Practice Nurse duties like smear etc. We are offering a unique opportunity to work in one of our clinics and to work on a varied caseload across a range of patients whom have signed up to our service via the Babylon App which is the first digital nursing portal.
What is Babylon?
Working for Babylon is the most innovative way to be able to care for a wide range of patients and provide them with high quality and convenient healthcare. Combining our leading healthcare professionals with the most advanced technology we are able to provide a sustainable solution to the problem many Nurses are facing in the UK. We enable you to do what you do best – treat patients!
The Lead Practice Nurse will:
● Initially the successful applicant will support the development and set up of a completely new GP practice.
o They will be responsible for the patient list and the introduction of the extended nursing team as the list size grows – this includes carrying out clinical activity as required.
▪ Management/Clinical split will be flexible to meet the clinical needs of the service – but it is anticipated this will be 80% Clinical 20% management – but will change overtime.
● provide leadership and mentorship to the team of Practice Nurses, Health Care Assistants and Phlebotomists.
● provide leadership in the practice’s fulfilment of the Quality Outcomes Framework and local Quality Improvement Schemes.
● work as part of the primary healthcare team providing personal medical services to the practice patients. This will include chronic disease management, treatments and dressings, immunisations, health screening and health promotion.
● Have high level of expertise and experience and ability to manage complex cases and support less experienced staff
● Lead and support the nursing team on a day-to-day basis
● QOF and Quality Improvement lead
● Analyse and implement policies and procedures to develop innovative ways of working that are evidence-based.
● Provide a high quality, safe and supportive environment for patients, meeting their identified physical and psycho-social needs within the scope of individual accountable practice.
● Work within Practice guidelines, policies, protocols and procedures reporting outcomes to appropriate clinical staff so standards of care can be monitored and improved where necessary. This includes adhering to the following agendas: infection control, equality and diversity, health and safety.
● Maintain effective communication with patients, carers, relatives and members of the multidisciplinary team ensuring information is shared appropriately and confidentially so patient needs are met in accordance with NHS directives and safeguarding policies (DH 2003; DH 2010).
● Protect and maintain patient records to the agreed Practice standard and in accordance with professional record keeping standards (NMC 2009).
● Administer medicines in accordance with a non-medical prescribing framework, patient specific direction or patient group direction in accordance with the standards for medicine management (NMC 2007).
● Organise, manage and prioritise own workload ensuring care of patients is paramount.
● Develop the role by using evidence-based practice and continuously improving own knowledge as defined by the NMC and revalidation guidelines.
● Chronic disease management: Respiratory Disease (Asthma/COPD), Diabetes, Coronary Heart Disease – Applicant should hold diplomas
● Assist in/perform routine tasks related to patient care as directed by Nurse Manager and GPs
● Wound care / ulcer care / Doppler
● Travel Health
● Removal of Sutures
● New Patient Medicals / Urinalysis
● Hypertension Management
● Ear syringing
● Routine immunisations / Childhood immunisations
● Assisting GPs with minor surgery and coil fittings
● Chaperoning and assisting patients where appropriate who are being examined by another clinician
● Requesting pathology tests, for example urine culture, swabs
● Following agreed clinical protocols with referral to Nurse Manager or GPs as appropriate
● If appropriate, prescribe medicines in accordance with the NMC Standards for Medicines Management (2007), the NMC Code of Professional Standards (2015) and the Nurse Prescribing Implementation Plan (1998).
● Other tasks will include
o Maintaining and cleaning equipment used by the nurses and GPs
o Maintain general tidiness and cleanliness of nurses and treatment rooms, including stocking and rotating items as required
o Maintain stock of waiting room leaflets as instructed by partners and Practice Manager
o Ordering of Health Promotion Literature
o Ordering of vaccinations to maintain stock levels
o Participation in administrative systems in the Practice
o At all times there will be a need to maintain accurate records
o A duty to advise the management team of potential problems or errors within the range of assigned tasks
o Attend and participate in any Practice meetings when required.
o On occasion there may be a requirement to undertake home visits
o Any other delegated duties appropriate to the post
The Lead Practice Nurse is responsible to the Director of Nursing for clinical guidance and professional management, work review and formal performance appraisal. Workload is generally autonomously managed within professional and practice guidelines, policies and directives. Communication and liaison with the Director of Nursing is requisite in negotiating and prioritising a realistic workload. Though it is envisaged that the successful candidate will be able to
The following are implicit expectations of the post holder:
● A willingness to undertake additional courses, training and education to meet the needs of the position; this includes attendance at on and off-site meetings and some study during non-working hours.
● A willingness to adapt working practice to meet changing practice and service development.
● Flexibility of working across sites if required.
● Performance is monitored on an ongoing basis and formally appraised annually.
● Travel to Babylon HQ (London) may be required
What is required?
● Registered General Nurse with evidence of current NMC registration
● GPN qualification
● Qualifications/signed competencies in the activities listed below and a willingness to work towards any not yet obtained
● Management qualification or relevant experience 2 years +
What we offer?
– Unparalleled and Enhanced NHS remuneration package
– Flexible working patterns
– Clear career progression
– Ability to have a voice
– Ownership of work
Tagged as: Digital Health, Health, Healthcare
We are a team on a mission, to put accessible and affordable healthcare in the hands of every person on...Apply For This Job